What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines "Personal Information" broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number, or e-mail address. The types of Personal Information that Commonwealth Legal may collect about you includes your name, home address, telephone number, personal email address, billing and account information, information about legal issues and other information incidental to providing legal support and services (including Personal Information about directors, officers, employees, adverse parties, parties-in-interest, investigators, decision makers, experts, other professional advisors, and our clients' business partners, investors, shareholders, competitors and customers who are individuals).
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, Commonwealth Legal collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about our clients and service providers in order to provide our clients with legal support services. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to establish and manage client relationships, perform legal support services and avoid conflicts of interest. This may include the sharing of Personal Information by and between Commonwealth Legal personnel and affiliated companies and partnerships for such purposes;
- to consider whether Commonwealth Legal should establish a commercial relationship with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information;
- to establish and maintain commercial relationships with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payments, and to fulfil contractual obligations;
- to understand and respond to client, supplier and other third party needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with such parties and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide Commonwealth Legal's products and services;
- to market, sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom Commonwealth Legal has a commercial relationship;
- to distribute our newsletters, conference information and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists, including via third party mailing houses and e-mail service providers;
- to develop and manage our knowledge-management systems and databases;
- to develop and manage Commonwealth Legal's business and operations;
- to detect and protect Commonwealth Legal and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with Commonwealth Legal’s policies and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving Commonwealth Legal;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, Commonwealth Legal may disclose your Personal Information to:
- service providers, including an organization or individual retained by Commonwealth Legal to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, document management and office services;
- an organization or individual retained by Commonwealth Legal to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- a financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with the assignment of a right to receive payment, the provision of security or other financing arrangements; or
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of Commonwealth Legal, is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by Commonwealth Legal, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, Commonwealth Legal will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer, using the contact information below.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, Commonwealth Legal employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. For instance, we operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. In addition, where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing, we make sure, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure.
Privacy and our Website
- Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication, participating in a seminar or other event, and participating in contests and surveys. If you are known to Commonwealth Legal as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
- Email Communications – Occasionally, we may send marketing or promotional email communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about the services of Commonwealth Legal and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. When a recipient of these emails opens the message, forwards it, or clicks on an embedded link, those activities may be tracked with the resulting information maintained by Commonwealth Legal for the purposes of assessing our marketing efforts and improving the relevance of our messaging. You may opt out or update your subscription settings for these marketing or promotional email communications by clicking here.
- Links – Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than Commonwealth Legal, and Commonwealth Legal has no responsibility for such third party websites.
Michele Lemieux Cantwell
Chief Privacy Officer
(416) 703-3755 x222